Is it an isolated wonderland? Is it a tourist hot-spot? Milford Sound is a bit of both. This means you get the best of both in terms of food, with swish restaurants and local cafes alike. Snack along the way or save yourself for a fantastic lunch on board your Milford Sound Cruise. Here’s the food and beverage situation in and around Milford Sound.
Cafes and restaurants on the way to Milford Sound
You pass through some cool Kiwi small towns during your journey from Queenstown to Milford Sound. You'll find small cafes and cosy restaurants, as well as shops selling speciality food items. Try some New Zealand honey at the Hunny Shop in Garston or check out a classic Fish and Chips shop in Mossburn. For a meal or just a coffee, break up your journey at any of these cafes.
Cafes between Queenstown and Te Anau:
- Brown Trout Cafe in Athol is a spot where you will always be welcomed with a smile.
- The Five Rivers Cafe on the Mossburn-Five Rivers Road is another small local cafe that makes a great pitstop on your drive.
- Bracken Hall in Mossburn has outstanding pies to keep you going.
Cafes in Te Anau:
- Sandfly Cafe dishes up plenty of homemade treats.
- Olive Tree Cafe is a lovely cafe right in the middle of town.
- Redcliff Restaurant and Bar has a beautiful garden bar complete with petanque.
Cafes in Milford Sound:
- Pio Pio Cafe near the end of Milford Sound Road is a fantastic place to stop and fuel up before your cruise.
- The Discover Milford Sound Information Centre and Cafe also serves up great coffee to warm you up on a cold day.
Where to buy snacks for Milford Sound
A road trip isn’t complete without some wholesome snacks to enjoy along the way. You’ll find a couple of possible stops on the road to Milford Sound. We would recommend stocking up in Queenstown, or during your half way stop in Te Anau. Be mindful of how your travel times will affect your stop overs. Supermarkets will close by 8pm and restaurants by 9-10pm.
Food on your Milford Sound Cruise
Cruise operators typically offer food and a range of drinks onboard their boats.
You won’t be disappointed with the food on your JUCY Cruise, and you definitely won’t go home hungry. Enjoy free tea and coffee during the entire cruise and the option to purchase espresso coffee, snacks, cakes and more. Depending on the cruise you book, you’ll be eating Pita Pit on board the Maiden of Milford or cruising on the Gem with a gourmet lunch.