jucy ev campervan travelling in the coromandel

JUCY EV

JUCY's pioneering fleet of fully electric campervans will be available to hire from mid-2019. Our EV campervans are proudly homegrown, designed and manufactured in our JUCY By Design facility in Auckland. 

With zero carbon emissions, our EV campervans are the new frontier of sustainable tourism in New Zealand. These vehicles are green in more ways than one! 

NEW ZEALAND'S FIRST ELECTRIC CAMPERVAN

In 2018, we carried out a five-month trial using a prototype electric-powered campervan. Solene and Heloise, two French tourists, drove more than 13,000 kilometres, stopping in 45 destinations across New Zealand. Along the way, they recorded data on the cost and availability of charging infrastructure, as well as local reactions and attitudes toward the vehicle.

Thanks to this trial, we discovered that it is feasible for tourists to travel New Zealand in an electric vehicle, but a lack of charging stations and long distances in the South Island presented a challenge. For example, between Blenheim and Kaikoura there were no campgrounds or charging facilities. 

However, with the overall success of the trial and proof that it's possible to travel from the top to the bottom of New Zealand in an electric vehicle, we decided to bring out a fleet of specially designed EV campervans for tourists. We're confident that finding a spot to charge the new vehicles will be easier in 2019, as the New Zealand Travel Agency (NZTA) gets closer to their goal of installing of a rapid charging station at least every 75 kilometres along main State Highways around the country. 

Our new electric campervans can also travel further on a single charge - up to 180-200 kilometres in one go. That's around twice as far as our prototype model. We can't wait to see where people go in these awesome EVs! 

jucy electric campervan travelling around new zealand

WHY HIRE AN ELECTRIC VEHICLE?

Our EV fleet heralds a new era of travel. Here are the main reasons to consider hiring one of our electric campervans. 

ENVIRONMENTally friendly 

The major benefit of the JUCY EV is the reduced impact on the environment. There are zero tailpipe emissions from our electric campervans. 

The only emissions result from the power used. This is one of the reasons New Zealand is the ideal location for operating EVs. Electricity in New Zealand comes from at least 80% renewable sources - that means from hydro, geothermal, or wind. As such, electric vehicles in New Zealand emit at least 80% less carbon dioxide than a regular car. 

COST effective

Running an electric campervan is significantly cheaper than driving their petrol-powered counterparts. Charging an EV is the equivalent of paying around 30 cents per litre for fuel and there will be no road user charges until 2021. 

INNOVATIve

Hiring one of JUCY's EVs is a unique and innovative driving experience. EVs are quiet and smooth to drive, with responsive acceleration and great handling. This makes our electric campervan the perfect recreational vehicle, giving you a great level of comfort while on long road trips. 

HOW DOES IT WORK? CHARGING THE JUCY EV

Charging our EV campervan is easy. Just plug it in. 

New Zealand's electric vehicle infrastructure is evolving rapidly. A nationwide network of charging stations means it is easier than ever before to roam the country in an electric vehicle. There are nearly 200 public charging stations around the country. You can find detailed location maps on:

There are three types of charging for the JUCY EVs. The range of charging options and adaptors that come with the electric campervan means it is entirely possible to travel long-distance around New Zealand. 

1. CHARGE AT HOME

Our EV can be plugged in at home. This is the slowest option and takes around 20 hours to reach full charge. On average, one hour of charge equates to 10 kilometres worth of juice. 

New Zealand's national 230-volt electricity system means it's possible to charge the EV in every home in the country. 

2. CHARGE AT A FAST CHARGING STATION

Fast chargers are exactly what they sound like. They can top up the EV's battery to 80% in about half an hour. The remaining 20% takes longer to charge, which is why it's easier to just top up to 80%.

The cost of a rapid charging station is about the equivalent of 30 cents per litre of petrol. 

3. CHARGE AT A SLOW CHARGING STATION

It takes about seven hours to charge the JUCY EV battery at a slow charging station. These plug-in points are the kind you might find at a powered campervan site - they have more oomph than a domestic power socket, but not as much as a fast charging station. 

TRY IT FOR YOURSELF

Our JUCY EVs will be available to book from June 2019 and ready to pick up from 1 July 2019. More details on how to book our JUCY EV will be coming soon!

Follow us on Facebook to stay up to date with the latest JUCY news